One of the most feared sections of the GED test is the math section. Many students struggle with math and try to avoid it as much as possible. The best way to overcome this fear is to be prepared! Get to know the math section well- know what kind of problems are on it, which areas of mathematics it covers, etc.- so that it doesn’t intimidate you anymore.
1. The format
The GED math test lasts 90 minutes. In this time, you will be asked to answer 50 questions, divided into two sections. Each section has 25 questions. These sections are separated because calculators are allowed for the first section, but not for the second. This means that in addition to studying mathematical formulas and concepts, you’ll need to practice your basic arithmetic.
Of the fifty questions, only about 80% of them are multiple choice. The remaining 20% of questions ask for a written answer. One possible option is that you’ll have to draw a coordinate grid (x and y axis), and plot a graph. That means that you should be up to date with your graphing abilities.
2. The content
The stated aim of the GED math section is to test three main areas: problem-solving, reasoning, and analytic skills. Types of questions that require students to use all these skills at once are very popular on the test. These include word problems and problems based on visuals like graphs and charts, because these problems require test-takers to find the relevant information (analysis) and then use the correct mathematical operations (problem-solving) to calculate the answer (reasoning).
3. Types of Questions
Not every problem on the GED math section will be a typical math problem that gives you numbers and asks you to generate new numbers. These questions, called application questions, will be present. But there will also be two other types. The first type is procedural; these questions will simply ask you how to solve a problem (rather than to solve it). This means that you need to be aware of how you solve problems, in addition to being able to solve them. The second type is conceptual; these questions will test your knowledge of concepts. This means that you may need to have certain formulas or rules memorized, so that you can write them (or fill in gaps) on the test.
Now that you are armed with this knowledge about what you will encounter on the math section of the GED, you should prepare to take a practice section test. Go over formulas or skills that you need help with, and then take a practice test just of the math section to familiarize yourself even further with the types problems and content.